- Once you know your moving date, plan out a packing schedule so your belongings are organized and you know exactly what items need to be packed at the last minute.
- List general contents and room on the outside of the carton- listing the room is also helpful for our team members when unloading so we do not have to ask where every carton needs to be placed
- Never pack flammable items!
- Use generous amounts of paper inside the top and bottom of the carton to provide cushion and protection
- Use clean newsprint paper when possible as old newspaper ink tends to rub off
- Pack cartons tightly so items are not shifting around while being picked up and carried
- Newspaper, old towels, and old clothing are great items to help fill space
- Please use professional packing tape, as regular masking tape is typically not strong enough to support fully packed cartons. Be generous!
- Separate breakables and non-breakables
- If possible, pack shoes in original shoeboxes. If boxes are not available, we recommend wrapping shoes individually to prevent abrasive damage.
- Handle lampshades by their wire/metal top and place in lined cartons. Surround shades with protecting paper and pack shades inside each other to utilize space.
Electronics and Breakables
- Always clearly mark any cartons containing breakable items as “Fragile” or “Fragile-Top Load,” for cartons containing electronics
- Always generously pad and firmly pack
- Bubble wrap, newspaper, foam sheeting, towels, comforters/blankets, pillows, and old clothing items are excellent sources to provide protection
- If possible, pack electronics in their original containers. Although most people do not, saving the original styrofoam protectors can come in handy when moving.
- Lay books flat in the carton, alternating the spine and open side of book
- Place paper in between books, especially old or collectables, as they tend to stick
- Books can obviously be very heavy, so it is important to properly label to assist with correct truck loading
- We recommend small book boxes which makes carrying easier
Statuary, Figurines, and Art
- Generously pad and tightly pack cartons
- Wrap items with adequate paper/padding material
Never hesitate to ask us if you have any questions about proper packing as you prepare for your moving day! Bolt Movers is happy to help finish packing the larger heavier items on moving day.